Monday, April 7, 2008

Tempero do Brasil

I had never tried Brazilian food before, but man is it tasty! Our landlords gave us a great gift card to a local Brazilian restaurant, called Tempero do Brasil. It was a thoughtful and very generous New Year's present. We decided to use it to for Jessica's 25th birthday. My parents joined us (it was a VERY generous gift card) to help celebrate the occasion.


We started the meal by ordering two traditional Brazilian drinks: one was an alcoholic drink whose name I can't remember. But it tasted kind of like a strong margherita. If I drank more, I'm sure I could give you a much better description. I will have to work on that. ;) The other drink was called "guarana". It's an extremely popular soft drink made from a berry that grows in the Amazon region. They were both REALLY good.

For dinner, we all split two main courses and a side dish. We had the Feijoada, which is a black bean stew that incorporates a variety of meats (including smoked pork, sausage, and beef). That was served with a tasty black bean rice and sauteed collard greens. The second dish was called Moqueca de Camarao, which is prawns simmered in a fantastic blend of coconut milk, lime juice, vegetables, and palm oil...served with white rice. My gosh those were good! I think I liked the Moqueca de Camarao better, but just a smidge. :)

For dessert we split the Pudim de leite, which is the Brazilian version of a caramel flan. As someone who doesn't usually like flan, this was FANTASTIC! I could have easily eaten an entire one myself. It was certainly a great way to end the meal....a very very delicious meal!

I made her use the decorative table candle as a birthday candle on top of the flan. :)

While enjoying these amazing blends of flavours, we also were treated with live music....guitar and vocals. At the end of the meal, the musician (whom I now know is named Javier) came over and asked me to take his picture. Of course I obliged. ;)


All in all, it was a pretty addicting night. Amazing food, great live music, fantastic service with incredibly nice owners, and a fun ambiance. I will definitely be going there again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay, how do you find landlords that give you giftcards?! In all my adult years, I've never... too cool lady....too cool.