I was driving to work one day, and a song came on the radio that I had heard several times before. It was Miranda Lambert's song The House That Built Me. It's all about returning to the house you grew up in and the impact that location had on you. Here's the video...
I definitely like this song and the lyrics, but I hadn't really done much thinking about it. That morning though, I got to thinking about the words...and how I didn't have a house like that. Being in a military family, I moved every few years. There wasn't one place that I considered to truly be HOME. Boo hoo.
And then I realized that yes, in fact, I did have a place that really shaped who I am: my grandparents' cabin on Marrowstone Island. I spent many a summer vacations at that cabin, fishing, beach combing, geoducking... It was where my Grandpa Boyd (an OB/GYN) taught me about the reproductive system (we were fishing and caught a pregnant sand shark). Where I fed apples to deer with my bare hands in the front yard. Where I would catch baby flounder with my hands in little tidal pools. Where I learned how to find and catch Dungeoness crab. Where my sisters and I got chased down by wild seals while we were in a row boat in the middle of the Puget Sound. Where my parents used to call me in for dinner by the sound of a conch shell.
I definitely like this song and the lyrics, but I hadn't really done much thinking about it. That morning though, I got to thinking about the words...and how I didn't have a house like that. Being in a military family, I moved every few years. There wasn't one place that I considered to truly be HOME. Boo hoo.
And then I realized that yes, in fact, I did have a place that really shaped who I am: my grandparents' cabin on Marrowstone Island. I spent many a summer vacations at that cabin, fishing, beach combing, geoducking... It was where my Grandpa Boyd (an OB/GYN) taught me about the reproductive system (we were fishing and caught a pregnant sand shark). Where I fed apples to deer with my bare hands in the front yard. Where I would catch baby flounder with my hands in little tidal pools. Where I learned how to find and catch Dungeoness crab. Where my sisters and I got chased down by wild seals while we were in a row boat in the middle of the Puget Sound. Where my parents used to call me in for dinner by the sound of a conch shell.
Grandpa Boyd and me in the small swamp area in front of the cabin. He used to row us around.
Best.tree.swing.ever.
Grandpa Boyd and me, with our sand shark catch of the day.
Same tree swing. Fabulous times. (minus the time Mary broke her collar bone on it. Sorry, Mar)
I love catching sand shark. They put up a decent fight for a junk fish. And you can turn their eyeballs into superballs.
Best.tree.swing.ever.
Grandpa Boyd and me, with our sand shark catch of the day.
Same tree swing. Fabulous times. (minus the time Mary broke her collar bone on it. Sorry, Mar)
I love catching sand shark. They put up a decent fight for a junk fish. And you can turn their eyeballs into superballs.
The cabin was the house that built me....Taught me to love the outdoors. Gave me a great bond with my family. Made me fall in love with the Pacific Northwest.Even though my family had to sell that cabin several years ago when my grandfather passed away, it still remains my favourite place in the whole world.And when I realized that while I was driving to work, I burst into tears. Tears...on my stupid commute. I felt like an idiot. But it was "a moment." hehe
I recently had the privilege of going back. I was technically trespassing, so I didn't stay for longer than an hour. :) But it was a good hour. An hour of rejuvenation and good memories.







I love and miss that place!
3 comments:
This is so great!
I can't believe you went back, but that is awesome. I wish I could have been there with you. In some ways it would have been very surreal, like visiting a memory. And at the same time it would feel like that is exactly where you belonged. =)
Good memories and great pictures. I'm jealous that you went back. I think Grams still keeps up with the current owners. I wonder if we can get permission to use the beach for a day and bring all the kids when we come back to visit this summer??
Post a Comment