Friday, March 13, 2009

And I thought I moved a lot when we were in the military!

So I'm in the middle of another move. This is my second move of 2009, and it is simply a temporary shift until I find another apartment.

At the beginning of January, I moved into a 2 bdr condo in my parent's condo complex. The owners had moved into an assisted living facility several months prior, and had the condo on the market. With the economy going farther and farther into the ground, they were completely not hopeful for a sale in the next 6 months....but they were going into the hole every month paying the HOA, taxes, and utilities. So we worked out a deal that I could stay there until it sold, if I was willing to keep it on the market and allow open houses on occasion. Sounded like a great deal to me. I was getting my own apartment, lots of space, great views (yes, I could actually see the water and the mountains from my balcony), all at a minimal cost (well, a good amount in terms of my non-profit salary, but a miniscule amount of what they could charge for that unit!), and most likely get to stay in it for at least 6 months....all the while helping an elderly couple. Can you say "win-win"??

I got all my pictures on the wall, my candles and decorations up, things arranged just so.....and THE VERY NEXT DAY - literally - someone came to look at the unit and put an offer on it. Okay, so either I have an impeccable taste in decorating or God has an interesting sense of humour. You decide.

But this week I'm moving out. To where?, you ask. Well, I found a great cozy little place nearby. It's called a storage unit. Yep, all my stuff is being loaded into a small little storage unit down the street, and I'm (along with a few bags of clothes) moving back into my parent's house until I can find a new place.

Luckily, I like my parents and they like me. And luckily I'm not living out of a shopping cart underneath a bridge....though, thanks to our lovely Okinawa friends, I do have a shopping cart for just that occasion. :)

But it kind of feels like I'm moving backwards, not forwards. I'm 25, and I'm moving back in with my parents. Yes, I know it's only for a month or so until I can sign a lease and move in to a new apartment. But still. I was finally living on my own again. Finally starting to feel like I was becoming ME again. And two months in, I'm out again.

So, here's to quickly finding an awesome, cute and safe new apartment! :)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Sorry you're having to move again soon. I'd definitely put it down to your great decorating skills! :)

Good luck finding a new place!