Sunday, March 28, 2010

Oh Canada - Day 1

Sometimes I forget to update my blog when I post to Facebook. Oops.


Blair decided to come back to Seattle for his Spring Break. And he had never been to Canada. So, we decided to take a quick little trip up to Victoria.
We started by doing a road trip to Vancouver, BC.
Went through the border. Thanks to the Olympics, it was a BREEZE! It took all of about 5 minutes. The border lady couldn't figure out why we would only be staying one night. She seemed very suspicious.
But who cares, because we got in. :)
We took a ferry from Vancouver to Victoria. We missed the 9am ferry by 4 minutes!! So we had to wait until the 11 o'clock. Luckily, we brought Triscuits and playing cards.
We had GORGEOUS views from the ferry. We mostly stayed in the car level because the windows were actually open. Upstairs in the passenger level, we couldn't get out to the front or back of the ferry like we can on the short ferries in Seattle. lame
When we made it to Victoria, we checked in to our AMAZING bed and breakfast. It was beautiful! If you go to Victoria, I totally recommend Fairholme Manor. (photo from their website)More on that in Day 2's blog. After we checked in, we decided to hit up a little bakery for lunch. We read about it in a "things you must do in Victoria" listing.It was pretty good. I had the Cackle Burger - which is a normal burger with an egg on it. It also had a sauce similar to thousand island. I thought it was tasty. Messy, but tasty.

And on the way in to our B & B we drove past a Castle. We never would have known about it had we not been staying at Fairholme. So we decided to do a tour.
It was really cool! Lots of history. Pretty stained glass windows. We even had a cute little lady take us around the first floor giving us an impromptu tour. Her name was Hetty, and she was a gem. I kind of wish she had taken us throughout the whole place.

This was on the back porch.
This was originally the side carriage entrance, but has since become the main public entrance.I love cherry blossom trees. :) And I really liked how the sun was shining through this one.We had spent quite a bit of time there, so by the time we were done, it was about time for the sun to set. We had read, also in the "things you must do in Victoria" list, that Mt. Tolmie (near the University of Victoria) had the best views of the city. So we decided to go up there to watch the sun go down. It really was beautiful.This is my panoramic version of the sunset. I don't know how well it will work on this blog...but alas.After the sunset, we went to a grocery store and bought baguettes, brie and mozzarella, and grapes for dinner...which we ate in our lovely room. Then we watched/partially-slept-through The Goonies. (another first for Blair.)Good first day in Victoria!

No comments: