Thursday, April 8, 2010

Scrubbing in for surgery

One of the perks of my job is that, because I work in a small office, I get to try a lot of new things. That's absolutely awesome. I enjoy constantly learning and experimenting. It helps me explore and not get bored.

One day, about two years ago, they called and asked for any help I could provide on the Mobile Dental van. Apparently, none of the scheduled assistants showed up to a clinic. So they just needed people. I went to help. And was mesmerized.

Since then, I've participated in several training sessions and done job shadowing, and they now occasionally let me leave my normal day job to go work on the Mobile Dental vans. I get that most people wouldn't consider this a perk. But I personally love, love, LOVE it.

And I got to go on the van again this past Wednesday. I assisted with a crown, 9 extractions, oral surgery, and root canal prep.
AWE.SOME.

Doing our initial exam.
Getting started
Now we're really getting going.
Prepping for the crown impressions
This photo cracks me up. Dr. Visconti (the dentist sitting across from me) was talking about how I was so colour coordinated for the pictures. I was wearing this pink shirt and navy scrubs, and we were working with purple impression material. So in this pic, Dr. Visconti was telling me to primp the hair and work it for the pics. haha!
Different patient. Prepping for a root canal. We were putting in a rubber dam.
It took all three of us to get the rubber dam around the teeth, floss it through the teeth, and get the clamp in place. I felt a little badly for the guy with 6 hands surrounding his mouth. But we got it!
We, unfortunately, didn't take any pictures of the extractions and oral surgery procedures. Those were, by far, my favourite of the day. If I become a dentist, I think I might want to be an oral surgeon. I love watching surgeries.

I simply just so enjoy learning new skills and, in the process, helping people who so desperately need it. It's days like this that help keep me going.

No comments: