Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Welcome to the Peep Show

A Peepless Easter? Not this year...

While I normally abhor the idea of eating Peeps, this year I made an exception. You see, Easter, as with every holiday, is surrounded with traditions that simply "make" the holiday. And I got to talking about Easter traditions with a friend and had a fun memory of Peep wars. So, out of college Peep war nostalgia, I went out and bought a package of pink Peeps. My friend, Jessica, bought yellow.

*Peep war tip #1 : use two different colours of Peeps. It makes it easier to determine the winner*
But as you can see, the pink Peeps started with a size disadvantage. I don't know why they make pink Peeps smaller than yellow Peeps.
*Peep war tip #2 : If given a choice, pick the bigger ones to begin with.

Then the face-off.
Stick them in the microwave, and turn it on....
Yellow took an early lead.
But pink quickly caught up.
Yellow ended up winning. Boo.
Deflated Peeps.
*Peep war tip #3 : Deflation happens quickly. So have your camera ready as soon as you open the microwave door.
About to try the microwaved marshmallow treats...
*Peep tip #4 : DO NOT eat microwaved Peeps. They are not "treats" as previously thought. Yuck!

So then we tried Roasted Peeps. With nothing else around, we decided to do it over my stove.

Punctured Peeps, pre-roasting

In the act of being roasted.
*Peep roasting tip #1 : If you do it over a stove like this, beware of sugar dropping off of the Peep and causing a fun spark
*Peep roasting tip #2: Roasted Peeps taste much better than microwaved Peeps.
After the war and roasting, the Peeps made up and became lifelong friends. But because I sent them home with Jess, I'm guessing their lives weren't that long.... :)
I still don't like eating Peeps. But this was a fun nostalgia evening. Go Peeps!

No comments: