Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Visiting Pittsburgh

After moving back to the US, we decided to take a much needed tour to visit family and friends. First stop, Pittsburgh, PA. There we had the pleasure of spending a week with my sister Mary, brother-in-law Rob, and nephew Marc-Andre. It was such an amazing week!

Marc-Andre had grown SO MUCH since I had last seen him. Why do kids have to grow up so fast?? He's incredibly cute. He now has two teeth, eats baby food instead of only milk, weighs 20 lbs, and is trying to talk. And while there, we got to see him learn how to crawl!!


















During that week, Mary had her 28th birthday! To celebrate, we took her to the Strip District, which is a fabulous street in downtown Pittsburgh that has a lot of really great shops all along it. Now, normally I'm not at all a shopping girl. But this is a different kind of shopping. They have a great pottery shop where local artists display their work (I love going to pottery places because it is really interesting seeing what other people have done and getting new ideas for possible things for me to attempt in the future. This time, I got a great idea for decorating the piece. You put a leaf on it after you glaze it, and stick it into the kiln. The heat of the kiln burns the leaf right off, but the exact leaf print is left on the piece. It's absolutely beautiful!). There is also this really great international chocolate store called Mon Aimee Chocolat. And, what kind of woman would I be if I didn't like that store?!? hehe Actually, I mainly like it because I get to see the selections from around the world. I especially enjoy the section from Europe because it reminds me of my days in England . :) Another shop on the Strip is the Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. that has all sorts of stuff....lots of different cheeses, nuts, breads. It's really cool to see. They even give samples. So far, my favourite was the veggie dip. mmmm Oh! And another really cool thing (other than the many other shops that I am not even mentioning in this blog)....the movie Wedding for Bella was filmed in the Strip District, specifically in a bakery called Enrico's. The movie is one I recommend...though a quick warning: it's a chick flick. hehe But it's really fun to see such an obvious Pittsburgh location. :)






We also went on a Duck Tour around Pittsburgh , which is this amphibious vehicle that drives around the sites of downtown Pittsburgh , and then goes directly into the river and becomes a boat tour. It was very interesting hearing all the history of the city and buildings. Once we got into the river, they even let Marc-Andre drive the boat. :)













We also went to the Carnegie Science Museum / Sports Works. Personally, I wasn't all that impressed with the science museum. Maybe I'm just partial to the one in Seattle . But this one seemed a little boring. We went to the planetarium show...and it was done by Mr. Roger's Neighborhood!!! We were cracking up throughout the entire show because it was sooooo ridiculously stupid we couldn't believe we were actually sitting there. hehe The Sports Works was really cool though. It had all these things that you could actually try doing...such as shooting a basketball while wearing glasses that alter your vision, learning how to shoot a few trick shots in pool, and pitching a baseball (by the way, I found I'm not the fastest or best at aim. no strikes were thrown on my watch. hehe). And we toured the submarine, USS Requin. Fun fun!



















No comments: