Thursday, February 25, 2010

Finally, right?!?!

I realize it's been a while. Life hates me. Okay, maybe it's not THAT dramatic. But it has been sheer chaos.

For those of you who didn't know (and really, if you didn't know, then that means we probably aren't friends. If we aren't friends, why the heck not? And more specifically, why are you even reading this?? - okay, I'm done speaking with my stalkers now), my house flooded THE DAY AFTER I posted my last Christmas picture post. Literally the very next day I came home from work, everything was dark because I don't keep my lights on while I'm gone (who does?), and stepped down into 3 inches of standing water. SPLASH! I look down and my things are floating by me. That's a weird view, trust me. So I immediately called my landlady and my parents. And I had a little melt down. Thus began the long process of removing ALL of my stuff, cleaning, repairing pipes, replacing wall boards and carpeting, etc. Ugh

*I have to insert a brief highlight of the flood. I had been sorting and wrapping Christmas presents on the floor in my second bedroom the night before the flood. (most weren't too badly damaged. just fyi) So, one of the things I got my niece for her stocking was a bath toy. I had been running around my apartment trying to save things like my computer, camera, etc. And, when I remembered that all of my Christmas presents were on the floor, I ran into my second bedroom to pick them up out of the freezing water. And I looked down and just busted out laughing. In the midst of destruction, a cute little rubber duck was floating around, happy as can be, flashing all sorts of colours at me. I loved it!*

A month later.... I finally was able to move back in to my apartment. Not a small task. It was rather daunting, in fact, because I had to get EVERYTHING out of my place very very quickly - aka Not Sorted and Not Labeled (and shove it all into my landlady's dining room. poor Liane!) And moving that much unorganized stuff back into an apartment rapidly turns into chaotic living. I don't like chaotic living.

But I'm also lucky because my friend, Blair (whom I knew in Japan and hadn't seen in 5 years), decided to come visit me. So I had external motivation to get it looking somewhat livable again. And it took until the day he arrived to get it there. (we won't talk about the second bedroom, where the door stays closed because I haven't fully gotten to it yet.)

So, now that all of that has happened, and I am again living in my apartment mostly mess free, I am back on the blogging sphere.

*sigh of relief* - me
*shriek of horror* - readers

1 comment:

Pete Crow said...

it sounds like you really handled it well. I can't imagine what life would be like after a flood like that.