Sunday, January 25, 2009

Guanaco's Tacos Pupuseria

I love trying new things. In fact, it's one of my all-time favourite things to do.

This weekend, when we were trying to decide where to go for dinner, I got a hankering for something new. So I pulled out my trusty iPhone and started shaking the Urbanspoon application. Up popped Guanaco's Tacos Pupuseria. Sound interesting? I thought so. And it only took me 1 1/2 hours to convince my parents to go! haha :)

This was after the persuasive speech. I was pretty excited!

Very colourful facade

Have you ever heard of a pupusa? I hadn't, and was certainly intrigued. I later found out that they are a traditional Salvadorian food that look kind of like a savory pancake. Turns out, they are corn tortillas filled with beans, cheese and pork. Yum. I also had a yuca frita ("tropical tuber like potato, served with curtido [marinated cabbage], radish, tomato slices and bite size morsels of pork") and a pastelitos guanacos ("flash fried corn flour pocket filled with beef, onion, carrots, served with curtido"). To wash it all down, I ordered the Horchata, which is a traditional Salvadorian drink that I can't even begin to describe properly...but I will say that it was a sweet mixture of flavours, light brown in colour, milky, with cinnamon, cocoa, almond, and ground rice (for texture). It was a very tasty meal, overall. :)

Mom and I, about to devour the tasty goodness


Top left, yuca frita. Top right, pupusa. Bottom left, pastelitos guanacos. Bottom right, curtido.


Our drinks. Dad's Bud Light Lime. My Horchata. Mom's Cola Champagne.

The definition, and pictures, of "Guanaco"

1 comment:

Elmo0408 said...

Never again will I order a Bud Lite with Lime!