Sunday, January 4, 2009

Popping pills

This week has been the week of heavy lifting and bruises. As many of you know, I’m in the process of moving. I had the offer of a lifetime: to move into a large 2 bdr/ 2bth/1650 sq ft condo, living on my own but also close to family…and within my limited non-profit salary budget! *If you are wondering what the catch is…you are smart. There is one, but it isn’t that bad: The condo is on the market. So, I have to be willing to have open houses and willing to move when/if it sells. But in this economy, I figure I have at least 4-6 months before another move comes my way.*

As much as I enjoyed living with my fantastic friend, Jessica, I was also just ready to be out on my own. I had lived on my own before, loved it, and wanted to do it again. So of course I couldn’t pass this up!

The plan was to take two weeks to pack and gradually move my belongings from my old apartment to the new. Well, we all know how plans go….they completely fall to the ground and we are forced to simply roll with the punches. And that’s exactly what happened.

Seattle was hit with a freak snowstorm. If you are from Wisconsin, North Dakota, or Alaska…I realize that a foot and a half isn’t really all that much. But you have to realize that Seattle NEVER get’s more than 2-3 inches. We aren’t prepared for weather like this. We have hills, no salt (it’s not “environmentally friendly”), and no one knows how to drive in snow. So it pretty much incapacitated the city. I literally wasn’t able to get to my old apartment due to road closures. There was no way in. Daily I tried. Daily I failed…and slipped and slid all over the icy road.


Finally, 4 days from needing to be completely out of my old apartment (with 3 of those days being work days), the roads were open. Granted, we pretty much went down the road sideways praying and praying we wouldn’t hit anything along the way (and thankfully didn’t). But we made it.

And there the bruising, muscle straining, and pill popping began….

* Note to self for the next move *
  1. don’t have stairs
  2. hire big, strong men to help out
  3. downsize


No comments: