Saturday, September 19, 2009

Medicine

I got a shipment of medical supplies in the mail at work yesterday. Actually, I'm assuming that they are technically a donation for the organization I work for (Medical Teams International). BUT...they were addressed to Sarah Cutter, with no mention of MTI (except for maybe that it came to the office address). Think I can keep them???

Normally I'm not at all tempted. But these aren't the typical donations (adult diapers, walkers, gauze...). No, this was a box of blood work supplies! Needles, test tubes, heparin containers... It SO made me want to practice taking blood....on myself, if no one else would volunteer.

Too bad I'm ethical and actually put them ALL in our donation room to go off to help people who actually NEED the supplies.

Stupid ethics.

But it did make me continue on a thought process that I've been thinking a LOT about lately: Should I pursue a career in the medical field?

And if you know me at all, you know that my brain has a tendency to take off on topics. So that one little box in the mail produced the following...all in about 5 seconds:

If I do go into medicine, what route should I choose: nursing, physician's assistant, dental assisting, dentist, med school, etc? How long would I have to be in school? Could I work while I went to school, or would I have to quit my job? If I have to quit, how will I support myself? And, when I get out of school, could I support myself on the salary anyways? Would it be equivalent or more than I'm currently making? Would I even want to be doing that job every day for the rest of my life? Does it even make sense to spend several years (and the subsequent tuition money) going back to school if I end up married and being a stay-at-home mom? Would I even want to be a stay-at-home mom, or would that drive me crazy? Would medicine provide the things I feel I'm lacking in my current job?

......

So what's been captivating your thoughts lately?

2 comments:

The Reedys said...

You posted so I shall provide my two cents... feel free to throw them back at me if you'd like...

I am positive you'd do well in the field of medicine. You are extremely intelligent and very ethical AND you are caring. Doctor? Eh, sure. But Nursing... I think that might be a winner for you. There are options to flex your schedule with nursing...to move into a variety of different fields (think... critical care, ER, OB/GYN, Nurse Practitioner, etc etc...). AND if you get married and have a family one day, you can make it work with both. I have a friend who works as a nurse... but she works the night shift on the weekends. ONLY. And makes a big chunk of money because she's working the shifts no one else wants. You could have a "full-time" job and still have the whole week with your family... Plus I feel like your ability to level with people and empathize with them most definitely puts you in a position to be a fantastic nurse.

Anyway... just my thoughts.

Other areas to look at if you're interested: Genetic counseling, forensic medicine...

Miss you lady. Wish we could get together and chat over sushi!

~K

Sarah said...

Kass - I welcome your opinion! Thank you for giving it.

Yeah, I agree...Doctor doesn't quite fit. Too much school. :) I'm currently leaning towards nursing...but am also thinking I might go with dental because I'm really enjoying volunteering on the dental vans at work. But nursing provides a lot more flexibility, better pay, and cool fields to choose from. I'm awaiting a reply from a local school regarding prerequisite courses (what can transfer from my BS degree and what I will still need to take before I enroll in the program). At this point, the plan is to take those required courses at night/weekends...and then see if I'm liking it enough to continue with the full program.

I have definitely looked into forensic nursing. That would take an extra year after I got my nursing degree. But I think it would allow me to combine a lot of my interests into one flexible job.

So we shall see!