Thursday, September 24, 2009

When I grow up

Starting before you are born, people are questioning what you are going to do for a career. "Oh, he's a kicker. I bet he's going to be a soccer player!" "She's doing acrobatics in my stomach. I wonder if she'll be a gymnast!"

And it never gets any better. As soon as you can talk, people ask you what you want to be when you grow up. The typical answers are careers like fire-fighter, cowboy and astronaut. When I was 5, my answer was, "Either a doctor or a grocery clerk". (I liked all the buttons on the cash register)

I'm now 25...and I still don't really have an answer for the question. But, I'm starting to think that my lack of an answer really is the perfect answer for me. See, I have the hardest time picking because, in my head, that means I have to let go of so many other things I still want to do. What I really want to be is the person who has experienced/done everything. I like being a jack-of-all-trades and having my hand in a bunch of different types of projects.

Here are some options that are highest on my list, in no particular order:
  • photographer
  • cake decorator/baker
  • medical professional
  • world traveler
  • singer
  • wife
  • mom
  • forensic examiner
  • anti-trafficking advocate
  • linguist
  • short-term missionary
All of these choices sound AWESOME to me. How do I pick???

But who says I can't do all of those things? Granted, I can't really have one job that encompasses everything. (although, if you find one, PLEASE let me know where I can apply) But I'm just starting to realize that picking something for a career doesn't automatically negate all the other options. I can do a lot of these as hobbies. I can change careers down the road. I'm not locked in.

There is a certain freedom with that realization. I'm still definitely struggling with the choice of what my career should be right now. But, as long as I'm striving for God's will, He will show me. And I can rest easy knowing that a) He's got my back, b) that I'm not necessarily closing all doors by picking one to walk through, and c) I can learn from and enjoy every experience for what it is (not just a stepping stone).

*sigh of relief*

Now I just have to keep remembering that freedom, and let go of the internal pressure I put on myself. Not an easy task for someone who is known for having constant and intense internal pressure. Your prayers are welcome. :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Well thought out! You've got my prayers!